Saw Devil Came on Horseback today. I forgot how much movies like that really get to me, not in the sense that they upset me because of all the disturbing images as much as I always feel like someone's grabbing something inside my chest and twisting because I get so antsy. I feel uncomfortable that I'm sitting in a room full of food, with a giant movie screen, and a cell phone in pocket while these people have nothing. And I mean nothing. I guess things like this also have sort of a duel effect, where it reminds me why I'm here and also makes me severely question while I'm here, if that makes any sense. Something like genocide just completely blows my mind. How it comes about and is carried out is astonishing, but what always really gets to me is that this has been happening for four years. And nothing has changed. All the information I see, the stories and situations that are portrayed in newer movies, it's all the same stories over and over that I've been hearing for four years. Why has nothing been done? What more evidence or suffering do people need to see before something actually gets done?! Genocide is supposed to be the greatest crime against humanity there is, and even though it's been called so, and has been proven, in the eyes of most, to be genocide, nothing has been done. Hundreds of people are dying every day because of our inaction, and the death toll just keeps getting higher. This whole notion and inaction is just utterly ridiculous at this point. Over 400,000 people have died, and 3 million people are displaced. And the international community stands by, watching...
The discussion after the movie was definitely interesting, although one of the panelists frustrated me a bit. He just seemed like he thought he knew more than he did, that he understood things he didn't, and his choice of words I at least found frustrating. Hearing the man from Darfur was very very interesting, his background was really unique and I liked hearing his perspective on things.
Basically, tonight solidified my need to do something soon before I go stir crazy with all this energy I have.
No comments:
Post a Comment