
I guess I didn't realize how much I rely on and love being a part of a team in gymnastics now. Since I've been home and working out at my gym again, it's made me truly realize how much I appreciate how much each of us does for each other, from little encouragements to full-blown screaming your lungs out at meets, it all adds up and has made a huge difference for me. I think coming into college, I didn't realize how much of a team atmosphere had really grown at MIT, and how little I was doing gymnastics for myself anymore, and how much I was doing it for my team. As I was getting ready to vault today, the mats were stacked up higher than I would like, and the horse was slightly on the wrong setting for me, so naturally I was a little nervous. I was getting ready to go and it took me way more tries than it would normally take me to go for something, and I was trying to figure out why things felt different. It was then I realized how much I both loved having and needed in a way my teammates to be there to push me, because at that moment, the only reason I would flip was for my own satisfaction and benefit, and at this stage in the game, that's not enough for me anymore. No one was cheering like I'm used to, and it took a lot more of my energy to get myself to go than usual.
I guess sometimes it takes stepping back a bit to see how much of a good thing you really have! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment